So it's the night before departure. I feel ready. If this were a scene from a movie it'd be the bit where Iron Man suits up. After thinking about leaving for weeks tomorrow is the big day, and you know what? I feel like Charlie probably would have (if he wasn't a figment of Dahl's imagination) the night before he went to visit the esteemed Mr Wonka. But with that comes a bit of sadness. This will be the last time that I sit here in the room I'm currently in (not naming the room to keep an air of mystery) for a while. My desk is empty, walls stripped of posters and whiteboard erased. It truly feels like the end of an era. My head tells me that I should be more sad, tears will probably be shed tomorrow, partly because my parents will be leaving, partly because I forgot to download Doctor Who before I departed and will have to go till Christmas without watching it again. But already my new life has been in contact, spent forcing its way into my world, talk of subject lunches and matriculation photos have already found me, filling me with a sense of apprehension and sadness. I can no longer class myself as a child, the veil of innocence has finally been lifted and the grind that is adult life has begun. I've taken mementos (the film 'memento' starring Christian Bale is pretty good) of my old life, small keep sakes that will probably mean nothing to those that see them but everything to me. I'm still excited though, my world and life are about to collide with some of the smartest students of my generation, the opportunity to learn and grow are staggering, the mementos will remind me who I am and where I came from. From now on the posts will get a little more exciting. Not too exciting mind you, I'll aim for 6 out of 10 on the universally used excitement scale. Farewell.
No comments:
Post a Comment