Saturday, 4 October 2014

1/10/14

So with 4 days to go before I start the next phase of my life, a respected peer of mine came over this evening to play Fifa, a totally normal activity carried out by most males in my age group. After being defeated twice (Neymar let me down and put an easy shot over the bar against RĂ©al (pesky accent again, if you've forgotten why I hate these consult the first post)Madrid), we moved on to talking about life. After discussing Religion (always interesting as we sit on opposite sides of the fence-but of course I'm right), we got onto talking about Science. He proposed the idea that Science is responsible of removing the everyday phenomena of modern life, for example every Scientist worth their salt (great phrase) knows that a rainbow is caused by the refraction of sunlight through water particles in the atmosphere. He proposed that knowing this removes the 'awe' factor that such an event possesses, but I whole heartedly disagree and I'm going to explain why. Knowing that everything we can see is fundamentally made up of the same few particles (the fundamental particles) is a difficult notion to comprehend, but once you realise that everything is it's truly wonderful to think that a chair and rainbow are at some level the same. And this is surely amazing. Knowing more about something gives the control to delve deeper into an event, I for one can't stop thinking about star life cycles and fusion whenever my mind consciously recognises the Sun. The fact that I know how it works makes me appreciate it more, in the same way that food critics insist that well sourced ingredients improve a dish. I understand that my argument isn't very rigid or balanced or thorough but I don't have the time to get into it now. This post hasn't real helped me, I'm as lost as I was before I started. Oh well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment